Gluten Free Pistachio and Cranberry Christmas Biscotti
It is always comforting having something sweet to dunk in your morning coffee. And biscotti can transform coffee into a toasty meal.
Originating from the same Italian word meaning "twice-baked," the baking process used to make biscotti prolongs its shelf life for 1 to 6 months and means that it can be freezed and defrosted when needed.
Biscotti is first baked in a log and then removed from the oven, cooled and sliced, and then baked again to draw out any lingering moisture. The result is a crisp, dry texture - making it perfect to dunk into your morning coffee, afternoon tea, or even in your after dinner dessert wine!
Although biscotti are usually made from almonds, my version takes on a festive feel by combining the glorious green of pistachios with the rich ruby red of cranberries. Given its long shelf life, this gluten free Christmas biscotti makes a perfect last minute Christmas gift that can simply be pulled from the freezer at a moments notice.
Here's what you'll need ...
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups gluten free plain flour
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan or guar gum
- 1 cup pistachio kernels
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- dash of gluten free vanilla essence
And here's how to make it ...
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Whisk the sugar and eggs to combine. Add the gluten free flour, gluten free baking powder, xanthan or guar gum, pistachios, cranberries and gluten free vanilla essence. Stir to combine.
- Knead dough until smooth and shape into two 30cm logs.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 120°C .
- Using a sharp serrated knife, slice logs into 5mm pieces. Place the slices flat on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake in the oven for another 20 minutes until crunchy.